BEING A FIREFIGHTER
-Being part of an organization where you really do make a difference within the community.
– As a firefighter or medic, you will positively change so many lives.
– As a firefighter and or emergency medical technician, your job is not only of critical importance, it’s also extremely personally rewarding.
WHAT WE DO
– We are part of the mitigation of, but not limited to, house fires, carbon monoxide alarms, motor vehicle accidents, hazardous materials incidents, and emergency medical situations.
-Though many enjoy spending more, on average, volunteers spend 5-10 hours a week at the firehouse.
– The North Massapequa Fire Department responds, on average, to 1000 alarms every year.
Here are just a few benefits volunteer firefighters receive:
– Free tuition at Nassau Community College funded by Nassau County.
– Free Training; whether it’s to become a firefighter or a fire medic, it’s all free.
– Length of service award (pension).
– A free comprehensive annual physical.
– 10% Property School Tax Savings.
-Use of Gym is free.
-Personal pride and satisfaction
– Last but not least, friends; you will become friends with some of the greatest people around. The fire service is truly a brotherhood which will become evident from day one.
– You must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school.
– You must be in relatively good physical health and pass a full medical examination provided at no cost to you.
– You must have no prior arson arrests or convictions as well as no felony convictions.
– You must pass an extensive background investigation.
You must be willing to make a commitment that will require you to make a percentage of alarms, training drills, meetings and work details.
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
If you are interested in joining us as a firefighter or fire-medic, come by headquarters located at 1000 Broadway in North Massapequa on any Sunday morning between 9:00am and 11:00am.
If you are unavailable during this time, call 516-579-0900 x1611